The Importance of Pet Wellness Care
Preventing illness is just as important, if not more so, than treating it. Illness takes more than a physical toll on your pet, it drains them emotionally, too. Then, there’s the drain on your wallet that comes with costly treatments. Preventive care has its costs, too, but they are far below the treatment of periodontal disease, feline leukemia, or leptospirosis. In brief, pet wellness care saves you money and saves your pet from dealing with the pain, discomfort, and exhaustion of illness. Our animal hospital in Milpitas offers extensive wellness services to help keep your pet happy and healthy for years to come.
What Does Preventive Care Encompass?
Preventive care is more than a physical every couple of years or so. We recommend annual exams for younger pets and biannual exams for seniors. The reason is that senior pets can develop conditions much more quickly than younger pets, and so require more vigilance if we are to catch any problems early.
In any pet wellness care exam, we perform and educate you on the following:
- Nose-to-tail physical – We check for any external abnormalities and evaluate any behavioral concerns.
- Pest prevention – Pest prevention is essential for keeping fleas, ticks, heartworms, and other nasty parasites away from your pet and your family.
- Vaccinations – Many vaccines require annual boosters for your pet to maintain their immunity against deadly diseases.
- Blood work – Analyzing elements of your pet’s blood helps us see what our eyes cannot. If your pet is in the beginning stages of a disease, we’ll know immediately, and can start treatments early to stop the disease in its tracks.
- Fecal exam – While pest prevention is effective, it is not a 100% guarantee. Fecal exams help us see any internal parasites that preventatives may have missed so we can treat them quickly and effectively.
Schedule Your Pet’s Wellness Exam
If it’s been a while since your pet has seen us, or they seem a bit out of sorts, call us today to schedule an appointment. With a wellness exam, we can identify any potential problems and fast track your pet on a treatment plan to wellness.